Journalists play a vital role in informing the public on science, specifically vaccine, developments, in an unprecedented period of scientific publishing.
The situation is constantly evolving but there are some general guidelines that should be followed whenever possible:
- Don’t just report the topline
- Don’t trust data automatically
- Use trusted and reliable sources
- State the source
- Define the terms
- Use clear language
- Explain the stage
- Report the numbers
- Disclose the side effects
- Use appropriate imagery
- Don’t forget demographics
- Remind everyone of the benefits of vaccines
Tackle vaccine hesitancy by reporting facts and figures on vaccine efficacy in ending epidemics throughout history.
Source: Tips for Professional Reporting on COVID-19 Vaccines