COVID Behaviors Dashboard: Updated Data Show Omicron Trends
Global Omicron cases have exploded since the COVID-19 variant was first reported to the World Health Organization on November 24. The most recent data from the COVID Behaviors Dashboard reflects that trend: the highest percentage of respondents in multiple countries are reporting positive test results since the dashboard went live in May of 2021.
- Reported positivity rates have jumped at least 10 percentage points in South Africa, Mozambique, Puerto Rico, and many other countries in the past month.
- In the November 16-30 data collection period for South Africa, 7% of tests were positive. In the most recent December period, that number rose to 37%, more than a four-fold increase.
Other insights from the latest data collection period (Dec 16-31):
- 20% of unvaccinated health workers in Japan are now reporting that they will definitely get vaccinated, up from only 3% in early December
- 90% of South African respondents reported that they have worn a mask all or most of the time, but only 70% believe that all or most other people are wearing masks
- Respondents in Nigeria have consistently reported a lack of vaccine appointments as the top barrier to vaccination (32% indicating)
Source: COVID Behaviors Dashboard: Updated Data Show Omicron Trends